Cheshire's recorded history reveals the area had a strategic importance at various stages of its development, particularly during Roman times, when Chester (then known as Deva Victrix) was established for defence purposes. Chester itself can be considered a historic attraction and preserves vestiges such as Chester Cathedral, established as a Saxon place of worship more than a thousand years ago, and the Roman Amphitheatre, the largest one built nationwide.
The Walls of Chester also date back to the Roman occupation, when they were built as a rudimentary defence structure, to be expanded and consolidated over the following centuries. The county's Saxon heritage is also notable in a number of areas, particularly, Sandbach, where the Sandbach Crosses are located, elaborately built during the 9th century and preserved in optimal condition.
The county is home to a large number of historic homes, displaying period architectonic styles such as Baroque and Palladian (at Lyme Park, for instance), often preserving many of their original features. By far one of the most visited, Walton Hall in Warrington was erected between 1836 and 1838 in brown brick and comprises spacious gardens which are open to the public. Another notable historic construction in Warrington is the city's Town Hall, built in 1750 in Palladian style. Craftily illustrating the Jacobean style, Crew Hall, built in Crewe Green during the first half of the 17th Century (1615-1636) also enjoys a fair amount of popularity.
In addition to these and many others, another intensely visited period construction in the region, Adlington Hall (located n the village of Adlington) can be traced back to 1480 and displays a miscellaneous design, due to numerous modifications over the years. The Tudor revival style, characterised by grandiosity, can be admired in the form of Capesthorne Hall, a construction of impressive size, built between 1719 and 1742.